Goto Section: 73.404 | 73.501 | Table of Contents
Revised as of September 1, 2021
Goto Year:2020 |
§ 73.406 Notification.
(a) Hybrid AM and FM licensees must electronically file a digital
notification to the Commission in Washington, DC, within 10 days of
commencing IBOC digital operation.
(1) All-digital licensees must file a digital notification within 10
days of the following changes:
(i) Any reduction in nominal power of an all-digital AM station;
(ii) A transition from enhanced to core-only operating mode; or
(iii) A reversion from all-digital to hybrid or analog operation.
(2) All-digital licensees will not be permitted to commence operation
sooner than 30 calendar days from public notice of digital notification
of the following changes:
(i) The commencement of new all-digital operation;
(ii) An increase in nominal power of an all-digital AM station; or
(iii) A transition from core-only to enhanced operating mode.
(b) Every digital notification must include the following information:
(1) The call sign and facility identification number of the station;
(2) If applicable, the date on which the new or modified IBOC operation
commenced or ceased;
(3) The name and telephone number of a technical representative the
Commission can call in the event of interference;
(4) A certification that the operation will not cause human exposure to
levels of radio frequency radiation in excess of the limits specified
in § 1.1310 of this chapter and is therefore categorically excluded from
environmental processing pursuant to § 1.1306(b) of this chapter. Any
station that cannot certify compliance must submit an environmental
assessment (“EA”) pursuant to § 1.1311 of this chapter and may not
commence IBOC operation until such EA is ruled upon by the Commission.
(c) Each AM digital notification must also include the following
(1) A certification that the IBOC DAB facilities conform to applicable
nominal power limits and emissions mask limits;
(2) The nominal power of the station; if separate analog and digital
transmitters are used, the nominal power for each transmitter;
(3) If applicable, the amount of any reduction in an AM station's
(4) For all-digital stations, the type of notification (all-digital
notification, increase in nominal power, reduction in nominal power,
transition from core-only to enhanced, transition from enhanced to
core-only, reversion from all-digital to hybrid or analog operation);
(5) For all-digital stations, if a notification of commencement of new
all-digital service or a nominal power change, whether the station is
operating in core-only or enhanced mode; and
(6) For all-digital stations, a certification that the all-digital
station complies with all Emergency Alert System (EAS) requirements in
part 11 of this chapter.
(d) Each FM digital notification must also include the following
(1) A certification that the IBOC DAB facilities conform to the HD
Radio emissions mask limits;
(2) FM digital effective radiated power used and certification that the
FM analog effective radiated power remains as authorized;
(3) If applicable, the geographic coordinates, elevation data, and
license file number of the auxiliary antenna employed by an FM station
as a separate digital antenna; and
(4) If applicable, for FM systems employing interleaved antenna bays, a
certification that adequate filtering and/or isolation equipment has
been installed to prevent spurious emissions in excess of the limits
specified in § 73.317.
[ 85 FR 78027 , Dec. 3, 2020]
Subpart D—Noncommercial Educational FM Broadcast Stations
Source: 28 FR 13651 , Dec. 14, 1963, unless otherwise noted.
Redesignated at 72 FR 45692 , Aug. 15, 2007.
Goto Section: 73.404 | 73.501
Goto Year: 2020 |
CiteFind - See documents on FCC website that
cite this rule
Want to support this service?
Report errors in
this rule. Since these rules are converted to HTML by machine, it's possible errors have been made. Please
help us improve these rules by clicking the Report FCC Rule Errors link to report an error.
Helping make public information public