Goto Section: 73.1665 | 73.1675 | Table of Contents
Revised as of November 23, 2020
Goto Year:2020 |
§ 73.1670 Auxiliary transmitters.
(a) A licensee of a broadcast station may, without further authority
from the FCC, install and use with the main antenna system one or more
auxiliary transmitters for the following purposes:
(1) The transmission of regular programs upon failure of the main
(2) The transmission of regular programs during maintenance or
modification of the main transmitter.
(3) Emergency broadcast system operation.
(4) The transmission of regular programs by an AM station authorized
for Presunrise (PSRA) and/or Postsunset (PSSA) operation.
(5) The transmission of tests to determine the operating condition of
the auxiliary transmitter or auxiliary antenna.
(6) For testing, upon the request of representatives of the FCC.
(b) Authorization to install an auxiliary transmitter for use with
other than the main antenna or authorized auxiliary antenna must be
obtained by filing an application for a construction permit on FCC form
301 (FCC form 340 for noncommercial educational stations).
(c) The following technical and operating standards apply to auxiliary
(1) The auxiliary transmitter may be operated on only the station's
authorized frequency and within the required carrier frequency
departure tolerance for the type of station.
(2) The carrier frequency of the auxiliary transmitter must be measured
as often as necessary to ensure that it is maintained within the
(3) When using an auxiliary transmitter, the operating power may be
less than the authorized power but may not exceed the authorized power
within the permitted tolerance for the type of station. If operation
with an auxiliary transmitter at reduced power continues for a period
exceeding 10 days, the FCC in Washington, DC must be notified. (See
§ 73.51, AM; § 73.267, FM; § 73.567, NCE-FM; and § 73.663, TV).
(4) Normal operator requirements apply to the operation of the
Note: After January 1, 1979, new licenses will not be issued nor will
existing licenses be renewed for auxiliary transmitters that are
operated into the main antenna system.
[ 43 FR 53741 , Nov. 17, 1978, as amended at 44 FR 22740 , Apr. 17, 1979;
48 FR 36463 , Aug. 11, 1983; 48 FR 42960 , Sept. 20, 1983; 48 FR 44806 ,
Sept. 30, 1983; 50 FR 32417 , Aug. 12, 1985; 51 FR 32088 , Sept. 9, 1986]
Goto Section: 73.1665 | 73.1675
Goto Year: 2020 |
CiteFind - See documents on FCC website that
cite this rule
Want to support this service?
Report errors in
this rule. Since these rules are converted to HTML by machine, it's possible errors have been made. Please
help us improve these rules by clicking the Report FCC Rule Errors link to report an error.
Helping make public information public