Goto Section: 51.233 | 51.303 | Table of Contents
Revised as of September 1, 2021
Goto Year:2020 |
§ 51.301 Duty to negotiate.
(a) An incumbent LEC shall negotiate in good faith the terms and
conditions of agreements to fulfill the duties established by sections
251 (b) and (c) of the Act.
(b) A requesting telecommunications carrier shall negotiate in good
faith the terms and conditions of agreements described in paragraph (a)
of this section.
(c) If proven to the Commission, an appropriate state commission, or a
court of competent jurisdiction, the following actions or practices,
among others, violate the duty to negotiate in good faith:
(1) Demanding that another party sign a nondisclosure agreement that
precludes such party from providing information requested by the
Commission, or a state commission, or in support of a request for
arbitration under section 252(b)(2)(B) of the Act;
(2) Demanding that a requesting telecommunications carrier attest that
an agreement complies with all provisions of the Act, federal
regulations, or state law;
(3) Refusing to include in an arbitrated or negotiated agreement a
provision that permits the agreement to be amended in the future to
take into account changes in Commission or state rules;
(4) Conditioning negotiation on a requesting telecommunications carrier
first obtaining state certifications;
(5) Intentionally misleading or coercing another party into reaching an
agreement that it would not otherwise have made;
(6) Intentionally obstructing or delaying negotiations or resolutions
(7) Refusing throughout the negotiation process to designate a
representative with authority to make binding representations, if such
refusal significantly delays resolution of issues; and
(8) Refusing to provide information necessary to reach agreement. Such
refusal includes, but is not limited to:
(i) Refusal by an incumbent LEC to furnish information about its
network that a requesting telecommunications carrier reasonably
requires to identify the network elements that it needs in order to
serve a particular customer; and
(ii) Refusal by an incumbent LEC to furnish cost data that would be
relevant to setting rates if the parties were in arbitration.
[ 61 FR 45619 , Aug. 29, 1996, as amended at 68 FR 52294 , Sept. 2, 2003]
Goto Section: 51.233 | 51.303
Goto Year: 2020 |
CiteFind - See documents on FCC website that
cite this rule
Want to support this service?
Report errors in
this rule. Since these rules are converted to HTML by machine, it's possible errors have been made. Please
help us improve these rules by clicking the Report FCC Rule Errors link to report an error.
Helping make public information public