Goto Section: 73.1580 | 73.1610 | Table of Contents
Revised as of April 3, 2020
Goto Year:2019 |
§ 73.1590 Equipment performance measurements.
(a) The licensee of each AM, FM, TV and Class A TV station, except
licensees of Class D non-commercial educational FM stations authorized
to operate with 10 watts or less output power, must make equipment
performance measurements for each main transmitter as follows:
(1) Upon initial installation of a new or replacement main transmitter.
(2) Upon modification of an existing transmitter made under the
provisions of § 73.1690, Modification of transmission systems, and
(3) Installation of AM stereophonic transmission equipment pursuant to
(4) Installation of FM subcarrier or stereophonic transmission
equipment pursuant to § 73.295, § 73.297, § 73.593 or § 73.597.
(5) Installation of TV stereophonic or subcarrier transmission
equipment pursuant to § § 73.669 and 73.1690.
(6) Annually, for AM stations, with not more than 14 months between
(7) When required by other provisions of the rules or the station
(b) Measurements for spurious and harmonic emissions must be made to
show compliance with the transmission system requirements of § 73.44 for
AM stations; § 73.317 for FM stations and § 73.687 for TV stations.
Measurements must be made under all conditions of modulation expected
to be encountered by the station whether transmitting monophonic or
stereophonic programs and providing subsidiary communications services.
(c) TV visual equipment performance measurements must be made with the
equipment adjusted for normal program operation at the transmitter
antenna sampling port to yield the following information:
(1) Field strength or voltage of the lower side-band for a modulating
frequency of 1.25 MHz or greater, (including 3.58 MHz for color), and
of the upper side-band for a modulating frequency of 4.75 MHz or
(2) Data showing that the waveform of the transmitted signal conforms
to that specified by the standards for TV transmissions.
(3) Photographs of a test pattern taken from a receiver or monitor
connected to the transmitter output.
(4) Data showing envelope delay characteristics of the radiated signal.
(5) Data showing the attenuation of spurious and harmonic radiation,
if, after type acceptance, any changes have been made in the
transmitter or associated equipment (filters, multiplexer, etc.) which
could cause changes in its radiation products.
(d) The data required by paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section,
together with a description of the equipment and procedure used in
making the measurements, signed and dated by the qualified person(s)
making the measurements, must be kept on file at the transmitter or
remote control point for a period of 2 years, and on request must be
made available during that time to duly authorized representatives of
[ 47 FR 8589 , Mar. 1, 1982, as amended at 51 FR 18450 , May 20, 1986; 65 FR 30004 , May 10, 2000]
return arrow Back to Top
Goto Section: 73.1580 | 73.1610
Goto Year: 2019 |
CiteFind - See documents on FCC website that
cite this rule
Want to support this service?
Report errors in
this rule. Since these rules are converted to HTML by machine, it's possible errors have been made. Please
help us improve these rules by clicking the Report FCC Rule Errors link to report an error.
Helping make public information public